Part of Green's 1707 Land Grant NORTH of the NEUSE
|1676 Map noted "Green's Land"|
In July of 1653, Farnifold's grandfather, Roger Green (1620-1671) was granted land on “Roanoke river and the land lying upon the south side of Choan river and the ranches thereof…”
Farnifold Green (1674-1714) came to North Carolina in 1697 and married Hannah Kent Smith. He and Hannah appeared frequently in early land records of then Bath County. Their children are noted in the order mentioned in Green's will: Thomas, John, Farnifold, James, Elizabeth and Jane.
|Clear Springs Plantation|
A few years later, obviously aware of the dangers of the Indian uprising, Farnifold Green made out his will on October 26, 1711 and assigned his “Newport Town” holdings to Robert Turner for four pounds, fifteen shillings. Turner proceeded to have Richard Graves lay out the town of Beaufort. After Green was massacred by Indians in 1714, Graves married his widow Hannah.
In 1714, Indians attacked his Green’s Creek plantation, killing 40-year old Farnifold Green, one of his sons, a white servant and two African Americans. The plantation, house, stock of cattle and hogs, were plundered and entirely destroyed by the Indians.
As noted in the nomination of this property to the National Register, of Green’s three surviving sons, James may have built “Clear Springs” on land inherited from his father Farnifold. MORE...